Why is it a must to use products containing active ingredients? July 28, 2017 15:10 98 Comments
Why is it a must to use products with active ingredients in them?
Simple put, to increase skin renewal and therefore prevent premature aging .
To understand that, we need to clarify what is skin renewal, how it affects the skin and how the skin age.
The skin (our body's largest organ) has an amazing ability to completely renew itself every 28 days . This process begins when skin cell is produced in the lowest layer of our epidermis and over 28 days makes its way up the layers of the skin to finally be shed.
As we age this cell renewal process slows down . This can be due to metabolic ageing processes or environmental factors as well as lifestyle and diet.
Some of the signs of the slowing down of skin renewal can include:
- A dull, lack lustre appearence.
- Signs of ageing including lines and wrinkles.
- Rough, skin tone.
- Skin discolouration and pigmentation.
- Uneven skin tone.
- Loss of elasticity.
If those signs are obvious to you, it is possible that the skin renewal rate is slower than what it was when you were younger.
Have a look at skin renewal rates in age brackets :
- Babies - Skin renewal turnover appox 14 days.
- Teenagers - Skin renewal rate 21-28 days.
- Middle Age - skin renewal rate 28-42 days.
- 50+ -Skin renewal rate 42-84 days.
There are some simple daily routines to combat slowed skin renewal process.
1.Use a sun protection cream 50+ every day. Uv light damages cells in their germulative state. This slows the rate of cell division and renewal. A good SPF 50+ protects against UVA and UVB, premature ageing and skin damage. UVA and UVB protection is the most important part of any anti-kjageing strategy.
2. Make sure the natural barrier function is protected ie. use a good moisturiser. This will;
- Increases moisture and hydration to improve skin barrier function.
- Strengthens, repairs, soothes and protects.
- Decreases sensitivity and irritation for dry, hyper sensitive skin.
3. Regularly Exfoliate .
Exfolliating assists the removal of dead, shedding skin cells on the surface of your skin . This in turn speeds up the cell renewal process and leaves the surface of the skin smooth and clear .
Having active incredients in your skin care products will help to increase the rate of skin renewal . This will be achieved by assisting the skin cell removal from the surface of the skin while actively stimulating the lower levels of the skin responcible for cell renewal .
- Some suggestions of Skinstitut products containing active ingrediants are :
L-lactic cleanser/ Glycolic Cleanser 12%.The use of Alpha Hydoxy acids in both of these cleansers enhance skin shedding and increases skin renewal turnover.
Skinstituts Retinol SerumContains (SYN®-AKE) and peptides Encapsulated advanced delivery system. Retinol is a form of Vitamin A that promotes cell renewal in the skin by increasing collagen and elastin production. Skin appears smoother with a clearer, lifted and more even skin tone.
Even Blend Serum . With Glycolic acid
- Reduces the appearance of uneven tone caused by sun exposure, skin inflammation or hormone imbalance
- Exfoliates and smooths for a softer & more refined skin textureAddresses age spots, skin discolouration and brightens uneven skin tone resulting in a more luminous and radiant complexion.